Alzheimer’s: The Caregiver’s Perspective
This video is a spot-on representation of what caregivers go through.
From diagnosis to saying the long goodbye, caregivers share their diverse experiences of caring for loved ones in the world of dementia. Alzheimer’s is more than memory loss; it affects many generations and is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States. Teepa Snow, Loretta Veney, Bob Schaefer and many more explain how they creatively navigate the frustrations, sorrows and complications of caring for a loved one who can no longer function safely on their own.
This documentary is a production of the Community Idea Stations and WCVE PBS.
For more information visit http://ideastations.org/alzcare
Alzheimer’s at 55: Family talks about living through the disease
There is no family history. No one was expecting an active, vibrant man would feel lost walking in a park he’s known most of his life.
Author: Marie Saavedra
Published: 10:20 PM CST November 13, 2017
Following a couple from diagnosis to the final stages of Alzheimer’s
An excellent story that ran on 60 Minutes on April 22, 2018.
Caregiver Stress – Care for Yourself While Caring for an Aging Loved One
The Comforting Fictions of Dementia Care
Parade Magazine has run a series called Caregiver Boot Camp
- November is Family Caregivers Month: 5 Real Caregivers Share How They Overcome Their Biggest Challenges – November 13, 2018
- Holly Robinson Peete Gets Real About Caregiving – November 1, 2018
- Scott Eastwood Opens Up About His Family’s Battle With Alzheimer’s – September 21, 2018
- Caregiving 101: Prepare Now to Care for Aging Parents – September 21, 2018
- This Tech Company Is Making Life Easier for Caregivers – September 18, 2018
- Tony Hawk Shares Touching Message About His Mother’s Battle With Alzheimer’s – September 7, 2018
- Respite Care: How to Ease the Stress of Caregiving – August 31, 2017
- Remembering Glen Campbell: His Wife Shares Her Story of Caregiving During His Alzheimer’s Battle – July 27, 2018
- AARP Announces $60 Million Investment to ‘Disrupt Dementia’ – June 25, 2018
- What Marilu Henner Learned While Caregiving for Her Husband – June 25, 2018
- Why The Young and the Restless Alzheimer’s Plot Hit Eileen Davidson Close to Home – June 21, 2018
- What It’s Like to Be an Alzheimer’s Caregiver – May 4, 2018
- Marcia Gay Harden on Alzheimer’s: It’s OK If You Don’t Remember Me, I Will Always Remember You – May 3, 2018
- The Cost of Caregiving – November 15, 2017
- Vaccines Every Caregiver Should Know About – November 13, 2017
- Holiday Help for Caregivers of Parents with Alzheimer’s – November 12, 2017
- How Storytelling Can Help People with Dementia – August 11, 2017
- Tapping the Creative Brain for People With Alzheimer’s and Related Diseases – August 11, 2017
- Cookbook Author and Alzheimer’s Advocate Paula Wolfert’s Unforgettable Lessons – March 24, 2017
- Code Black Star Marcia Gay Harden on Her Personal Experience with Alzheimer’s Disease – March 22, 2017
- How to Be a Good Caregiver and Take Good Care of Yourself Too – December 23, 2016
- MSNBC’s Richard Lui Is Taking Care of His Dad – November 21, 2016
- Top Nurses Share Their Secrets to Successful Caregiving – October 3, 2016
- Access Hollywood’s Liz Hernandez Wants You to Be Alzheimer’s Aware – June 20, 2016
- People Power: A Better World for People with Alzheimer’s – June 19, 2015
Holiday Tips for Caregivers
The holiday season can be hard for loved ones, caregivers and families. Here’s a page of tips from Teepa Snow.
|The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss (A Johns Hopkins Press Health Book)|
|Creating Moments of Joy Along the Alzheimer's Journey: A Guide for Families and Caregivers|
|The Sea is Wide: A Memoir of Caregiving|
|Cognitive Impairment Care Planning Toolkit
Medicare’s Cognitive Impairment Assessment and Care Planning Code: The Alzheimer’s Association Expert Task Force Recommendations and Tools for Implementation.
Contains information about Coding for Medicare. Also contains guidelines for assessments used by physicians.
|Conversation Starter Kit
Designed to help families and loved ones of people with Alzheimer's or other dementias have that conversation about end-of-life issues.
|Unforgettable: The Bold Flavors of Paula Wolfert's Renegade Life . UNFORGETTABLE: The Bold Flavors of Paula Wolfert's Renegade Life tells the incredible life story of food legend Paula Wolfert, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2013. A culinary biography written by Emily Kaiser Thelin and photographed by Eric Wolfinger, it shares 50+ of her most unforgettable dishes, and explores the relationship between food and memory.|
|My Parent's Keeper: The Guilt, Grief, Guesswork, and Unexpected Gifts of Caregiving|
|The Seasons of My Mother: A Memoir of Love, Family, and Flowers by Marcia Gay Harden|