Application is required
The Early Stage Support Group is a place for individuals with early stage Alzheimer’s or similar dementia to meet others in like situations while their caregivers attend concurrent support group. In addition to traditional “support group” discussions, the facilitators arrange for a variety of activities, including exercise, art, outings and question and answer sessions on a variety of topics with local experts.
All potential participants of the Early Stage Support Group go through a screening process to determine eligibility. Individuals participating in the Early Stage Support Group should have the following list of characteristics.
- Have a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s or related dementia documented by physician.
- Are aware of the diagnosis
- Acknowledge, at least occasionally, memory loss or confusion.
- Are able to express themselves and understand others, even if there is some degree of difficulty with speech or word-finding
- Are able and willing to discuss feelings and experiences related to illness.
- Understand the purpose of support group, are interested and freely give consent to participate.
- Have a caregiver or someone willing to serve as a contact person for group facilitator.